Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kitchen Improvements

If you have have visited noTTafarm at meal time, you know it's a stressful experience.  No, not because I'm a terrible cook - but rather because of the penisula-style cabinet (or should I say "obstacle!") in the center of the room.  When the 1972 addition was constructed, I'm sure the new kitchen was a huge improvement for the Norgards' growing family but how Doris and her girls put up with that layout for nearly 40 years is a mystery to me.  One of the things I insisted upon happening prior to moving in was figuring out a solution.  Luckily, I'm married to a smart architect!
First, the doors came off.  I was willing to sacrifice 42-inches of countertop space, too!

After covering the stove top, Scott used his circular saw to cut through the Formica counter.

Go, Saw, Go!

Lifting off the top.

Well, that first step seemed pretty easy!

Next, Scott used his M-12 oscillating saw to cut through the cabinet.

After a series of cuts, all that remained were the 2x4s which held the cabinet in place.

It may not look like much but turning the penisula into an island is already my favorite noTTafarm improvement to date.  You'll note also that I kept busy by pulling the old laminate floor up while Scott dismantled the cabinet. 

Stay Tuned for More Kitchen Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment