Saturday, May 9, 2015

Garage Organization Improvements

The weekend of May 2-3 was sunny, rainy, windy, cloudy, and calm . . . the perfect weather for installing cabinets inside the garage! Since Scott brought them home over two years ago, the cabinets (4 bases, 4 uppers) have been waiting patiently in the garage where we've moved them, stacked junk on top of them, and generally ignored them. Now that the paint is finally on the walls, we turned our attention to the cabinets.
Before removing the interior shelves and doors, Scott labeled all the pieces with tape. The cabinets are laminated particle board so they are really heavy! Removing the doors definitely made the job a little easier.
A day at noTTafarm wouldn't be complete without Bibbers stopping by to check on the work.  Thanks, Bibbs!
Scott used a stud finder to find the studs (duh!) to which we could attach the upper cabinets.  Two sets of cabinets will be attached to the south wall (shown) and the others will be positioned on the west wall.
Not to be outdone by Bibbers' involvement, Leo came out and inspected everything. Two orange cats make any task better!
Since Sara was out of town, Kevin and Bennett decided to take a roadtrip to noTTafarm! Bennett was intrigued by a step ladder, the Ranger, and general "work."
The upper cabinets were hung by first attaching a ledger board to the wall. Scott used the laser level to keep everything straight while he screwed into the wall studs.
Once the upper cabinet was "hanging" on the ledger board, Scott secured it with several screws.
Halfway through the process, the laser level decided to stop working. We made an emergency trip to Home Depot for a replacement and were back in business. Have you ever known a project at noTTafarm that didn't require a new tool?
With all the ladders out, Scott still chose to stand on the base cabinet to finish attaching the upper.
Two wall cabinets are on the west wall. Scott wanted to keep open space beneath the north cabinet in the Audi's bay (shown at left.)
With the wall cabinets installed, Scott turned his attention to creating bases for the lower cabinets. We made a trip to our favorite lumber yard . . . the barn! We had all the 2x4s necessary to get the job done.
The base cabinets are perched on the 2x4 frame, providing a toekick and room for the doors to easily swing open.
The cabinets on the south wall have been designated as "mine." I don't know what all I need to store but at least I'll have space when I figure it out.
Finally, the shelves, doors and drawers were re-attached to the base cabinets. Now all we need to figure out is what to use for counter tops!
Stay Tuned for Our Next Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment