Sunday, November 12, 2017

Two Saws Are Better Than One

You know your husband really loves you when he buys you a chainsaw for your birthday. What girl wouldn't want her very own 14" cordless chainsaw, powered by a 40V lithium battery?
Expertly adorned with a single red bow, of course!
Following a week of gray, cold weather, today (November 12) was 54 degrees and sunny - the perfect opportunity to test out my new toy. 
Scott loaded the Ranger with his Stihl Farm Boss and my new Ryobi for an afternoon of fun. 
Our first subject tree was a long-dead tree of unidentified species near the east end of the driveway, just one of several that should be culled.
My cheesy smile tells you that I was excited to give the new saw a try! 
For the last few years, the green leaves on this tree were actually part of a huge grapevine. The vine was twisted all over and around the tree which made removing the whole thing a tangled, unwieldy mess. 
Scott used the Ranger's winch to drag several big bundles of gnarly branches to the east burn pile - plus we pulled four loads on the trailer. Trees always seem to be bigger once they're on the ground! In addition to this tree, we took out a couple along the fencerow facing the street and four cedars on the north side of the east pasture. We certainly got a good day's work done before quitting time.
All that's left is that little stump...
As weather permits, we'll continue to clean up dead and otherwise undesireable trees. My new saw worked great, and I'm really happy that I've been promoted from my previous position of branch-picker-upper. Of course, the best part was just getting to hang out in the sunshine with my Scotty.
Stay Tuned for Our Next Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment